Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wrapping It Up (Third Cycle Reflection Statement)

It seems that this time I wasn't able to do many of the activities I planned to do. Well, there have only been two weeks of school in this third cycle of PE, so I haven't been able to go to the language table or to talk to my friends in Japanese much. However, I watched quite a lot of Japanese movies (gotta love Continental Airlines' movie selection for flights to Asia), and I feel a lot more confident about my listening ability and even my speaking ability in Japanese.

The more I listened to Japanese in movies, the more I felt like the speed wasn't as intimidating anymore. I also took the opportunity to shadow some sentences as I watched the movies. I think I got more of a feeling for Japanese sentence intonations. Although I didn't see it as a learning activity and didn't do it with a very serious mindset, I think that I learned a lot while enjoying myself, so I think this third cycle was a success.



This is one of the movies I watched on the plane. It's a thirteen hour and a half ride, so that's usually enough time for three or four movies. (Although I do sometimes sleep on the plane, too. =P)

"僕たちは世界を変えることができない。 But, we wanna build a school in Cambodia."
"We can't change the world. But we wanna build a school in Cambodia."
That's the name of the movie. It's a long name... xD

This movie is about a group of university students raising money to build a school in Cambodia. I really liked it, mainly for its theme, but also because it just seemed very "real" – both the story, the acting and the filming.

2 comments:

  1. Right now, I have a very hard time understanding Japanese when it is spoken very quickly. Does watching movies help a lot? Do you usually watch the Japanese movies with or without subtitles? You have inspired me to watch many over spring break.
    : ) がんばて!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching movies definitely helped a lot for me. Everyone has different ways of learning, obviously, but I believe that movies will be helpful if you want to improve your listening ability. I usually watch movies with subtitles (for me, that's the advantage of movies over TV or radio programs) because without them it's just too hard to pick up anything. As my Japanese gets better I will try watching more movies without subtitles, but for now, I learn more with the subtitles on. Good luck!!

      Delete